Monday, March 12, 2012

M1A1 Abrams Hull


   As I have been working on this project for awhile now I will begin by showing what I have accomplished so far. My goal here is to create a 1/6 scale tank that can be either displayed static or be fully RC with a paintball gun. As its foundation the basic hull and turret will be true to scale with panel lines, weld seams hatches, etc, made from fibreglass. All the drive line components, suspension, gun elevation, turret rotation will be machined from aluminum and steel and will be bolt on items. If at a later date I want to add more detail I will make the items either from metal or resin cast and just add them on. In this way if  I so choose I can use it for paintball combat ( not worry about damaging delicate detail parts or cleaning off paint) or go all out detail.


  I began with scaling a 1/35 model of the M1A1 Abrams and drawing  it on the computer using Autocad so that as I progress I can add parts to the drawing and make sure that everything fits. I also found a great reference site called Prime Portal. It has a wealth of visual information to draw from and has really helped in getting some good detail and understanding of how these machines are put together. On a side note I must first disclose that I am by no means computer savy. I learn as I go. I am pretty much self taught in both drawing and progamming machine tools. My greatest asset is my two teenage daughters, they are always comming to my rescue when I most need it.

  
  I've made the hull using predominately 1/4" and 3/8"  MDF (medium density fibreboard) with various thicknesses of aircraft ply to simulate hatches, panels and basic detail elements of the hull. With lots of sanding and filling I have progressed to the point that you see in these photos. These two components will create the master plug from which I can create a mold. The lower hull is pretty much finished and just requires a final sanding and priming. I need to finish the front fenders, weld seams, and some raised panel lines near the drivers hatch.  Once these are completed I can give everything a final fill, sand and prime. Then we will try our hand at making a mold.


















No comments:

Post a Comment